5 Sustainable Travel Tips For Earth Day
Updated: Apr 26, 2020
With the COVID lock down, many people are asking whether the world is better off without tourism. Pandas are mating, the canals in Venice are clear and cities can see the sky again. But travel is not only an important base of many economies (some of which would necessarily use the resources from the tourists visit) it is the way humans around the word connect and build understanding.
In my business, I like to promote sustainable and responsible travel. It's not just about expensive non-stop flights and carbon offsets; if everyone makes small choices we can collectively make a big difference! Here are 5 tips that come to me top of mind because they are easy to do and have an impact. Feel free to comment with your own.
1) Plan a simple trip. Experiences that explore an area on foot or by bicycle can be just as good if not better than being chauffeured around a country.
2) For souvenirs, look to local artisans and buy directly.
3) Put the "do not disturb" sign on your hotel door for your stay and do your own cleaning up.
4) Bring a good water bottle and fill up when you can from clean water sources at hotels or airports. If staying in an area for a while, buy a large container of clean water to fill your bottle.
5) Hike only on marked trails, and stay away from wildlife. Never feed the animals!
Thank you for reading. Now get outside and enjoy the day !